11 Jan Utrecht University provides additional funding to Utrecht Bioinformatics Center
The Executive Board of Utrecht University has granted the Utrecht Bioinformatics Center an additional four years of support to further strengthen and position bioinformatics in Utrecht.
So what do we want to do for the next four years? First of all, we want to continue our good work in strengthening the bioinformatics community, infrastructure, expertise and education. To achieve this end, we will take certain concrete steps, such as:
- connecting new PI’s and institutes to the existing community,
- extend our education efforts in the Bachelor’s phase,
- expand the bioinformatics expertise centers,
- improve our computing infrastructure with more affordable storage,
- better connections to national initiatives (e.g. Data4LS), and;
- combining the strengths of health and computational life sciences in a virtual research environment.
In addition to all these ’New Year’s resolutions’, we invite our community to share thoughts and ideas on how to improve bioinformatics in Utrecht, especially given the ever-increasing demand for bioinformatics expertise and the expanding connections to data science and complexity.