Clinical bioinformation (Bsc or Msc)Organisation
The Princess Máxima Center for Pediatric Oncology is a research hospital concentrating healthcare, research and education of pediatric cancer in a single location in Utrecht. The institute aims to provide the highest level of care for all children with cancer and has the ambition to cure all children of cancer and significantly reduce unwanted side effects. The center brings together the best possible care and scientific research, creating a unique interdisciplinary institute for pediatric oncology in Europe.
The candidate will be part of the translational bioinformatics team at the Princess Máxima Center. This team is responsible for performing and developing bioinformatic data analyses at the interface of clinical care and research. The translational bioinformatics team is at the fore-front of implementing next-generation sequencing technologies in clinical practice including exome sequencing (WES) and RNA-seq based analyses for all patients as well as DNA methylation-based classification of brain tumors. Implementation of novel applications using whole-genome sequencing (WGS), long-read technologies and other sequencing-based assays are under active development.
We have extensive experience with implementing novel technologies in a diagnostic setting and coordinating bioinformatics infrastructures such as High-Performance Computing, workflow management systems and data sharing and collaboration facilities.
As part of the diagnostics conducted at the Princess Máxima Center, exome sequencing, RNA-seq and DNA methylation array data are generated for all patients. The genomics platform is part of a shared diagnostics and research infrastructure developed at the Princess Máxima Center together with bioinformaticians within the research group of Dr. Kemmeren. The candidate will be responsible for performing analyses with the data analysis pipelines generated inhouse, as well as maintaining and developing these pipelines.
Tasks and responsibilities
The candidate will play a significant role in the data analysis as well as further development, implementation and integration of the genomics platform at the Princess Máxima Center. The candidate will work in close collaboration with bioinformaticians and laboratory specialists in both the Kemmeren group as well as the molecular diagnostic laboratory.
Specific tasks include:
- Operational analyses of exome and RNA-seq data, as well as DNA methylation arrays.
- Further development and implementation of the genomics platform using Molgenis, WDL, Cromwell, REST and large-scale computational infrastructures.
- Support data resources used for clinical data analysis.
- Setting up and supporting bioinformatic analysis pipelines.
Education and skills:
- We expect a highly motivated candidate with a bachelor or master in bioinformatics or similar experience in bioinformatics or data science.
- Excellent technical and programming skills are required, preferably in Linux, R, python and java.
- Knowledge about next-generation sequencing, genetics, statistics and large-scale computational infrastructures are also preferred.
- The candidate should also have good communication skills, be flexible, versatile and a good team player in a dynamic environment.
A temporary, full time position (36 hours a week for one year with the option for a permanent contract after this period upon satisfactory performance) as a clinical bioinformatician at the Princess Máxima Center. You will be working in a very stimulating and cross-disciplinary clinical and research environment, combining cutting-edge clinical care with state-of-the-art bioinformatics. Gross monthly salary will depend on experience and background. The Princess Máxima Center is covered by the collective labor agreement “algemene ziekenhuizen”.
Contact and application:
You can apply for this position until April 15th by pressing the apply button on this screen.We welcome you to contact Dr. Jayne Hehir-Kwa (email@example.com)for additional information about the vacancy.Detailed information about the Princess Máxima Center for Pediatric Oncology can also be found at www.prinsesmaximacentrum.nl.